Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Seattle Trip

Summer in Seattle can not be more perfect. Without rain, the temperature is about 70ish degree. For someone who can not stand the heat, Seattle is great in the summer time. I arrived first in Seattle for Business initially with my wife and my kid following me few days later for our vacation and attending my cousin's wedding.

Transportation wise from the Airport to Downtown Seattle is very convenient. (Unlike LA, actually no major city is as non convenient as LA) A typical bus ride from the Airport to Downtown cost $2.25 at peak hour and $1.50 at non peak hour. I took 194 from the Zone B at the airport to the heart of the city and the entire ride takes less than 20 minutes. If you prefer taxi, I think the meter will run about $30 depending on the location of the Seattle you are staying in. After getting off the highway, the bus will then go underground through a tunnel. If you look at the floor of the tunnel, you can actually see the foundation of the track which may later be use by a subway system. Also, in Seattle, from 7am to 7 pm, 1st street and 3rd street are ride free zone. Basically you can go anywhere within downtown on a bus with paying a cent. (So convenient!!!)

Typically a hotel in the downtown area runs about $200+ a night. Staying in Belltown is about $150 a night and is about 5 blocks away (5 minutes walking distance). Even though the hotel, Ramada, is a bit old and the carpet seems dirty, overall the hotel is fairly pleasant. The staff are very attentive and very responsive. If you need any service such as Boeing tour (which is about $60 including taxes) or town car service (which is about $40 to the airport), the hotel clerk can easily arrange the service for you.

On the first day of the trip, my wife and I met with the family and went down to China town (which locates at the international district) for dinner. It was a typical Chinese food restaurant, nothing special. After dinner, my wife and I went back to my cousin's apartment since my wife is helping with bride's makeup for the wedding. After she finished the wedding makeup, my wife and I had to take the baby back to the hotel.

On the 2nd day of the trip, we walked from Ramda to Pike Market Place (which takes about 10-15 minutes). We saw the flying fish, the golden hog, and the giant clock. The flying fish tradition as many have seen on TV is a store front where after customer orders a fish. The stockboy on the outside will pick up what you ordered and throw the ordered fish in to the middle of the store and caught by the stockboy in the middle. While they do this, these men will also sing and dance as they progress. Turning right after you enter the market, you will see numerous fresh fruit and veggies. If you turn right on the intersection right before entering the pike market, you will see the pike place chowder, which is another famous local eat spot. After pike place chowder, if you headed down to the pike market again and then turn right, you will see La Panier Bakery. If you follow the road down, you will get to the original Starbucks store. After the visit to the Pike Market, my wife and I had to go back to my cousin's place in preparation of the wedding.

The 3rd day of the trip is pretty much taken by the wedding itself, therefore not much sight seeing was done. We did went down to the Scupture garden where the wedding took place. and after the wedding we went to Waterfront Seafood for the reception.

On the 4th day which Seattle downtown happened to be hosting Bite of Seattle event. the whole event is hosted on the park next to the music project and space needle. My whole family and I went to this event in the afternoon. walking through the crowd we saw varies type of food vendor. The mini carnival was fairly interesting and entertaining. When we almost done, my nephew wanted to go on the carousel, here has to be the fastest carousel I have ever seen. This carousel had to be operating at 5 times the speed of a normal carousel. Later in the afternoon, we met up at downtown again eating dollar oyster in a local bar. I guess Seattle is full of seafood bar where oyster is extremly cheap. On a normal weekday, you can go to Eilliot Oyster house and get an oyster for $.50 each.

fifth day is our final day at the city, we walk on the pier and was just enjoying the view of the ocean. The 5 day trips went by so fast, my wife and I still can not remeber everything we done. We did learn a few thing in this trip to Seattle

1. if you have a young baby, some taxi may be willing to take you and your family without a car seat. But some taxi may not
2. if you have a baby and arrived the airport early, don't worry. Between Gate A and B, there is a playground for the kid. Take your kids there, they will enjoy for sure.

No comments: